Thursday, March 21, 2013

Orlando 2013 {Part 1}

A week ago today, our week-long vacay in Orlando, Florida was coming to a close. The end of a glorious 6 days off of work, spending time with my family, and in a place a long ways from home. We didn't do anything Earth-shattering, but it was wonderful just the same.

TJ and I flew down to Orlando on Friday, March 8, which also happens to be my birthday. This year was not just any birthday, it was the BIG 3-0, so I was happy to be spending it on vacation. I started the day with a solid workout at home before our brother-in-law took us to the airport. I even talked TJ into leaving a little bit earlier than we needed to so we could grab some brunch at Cafe Patachou {one of my favorite brunch places in Indy that also has a location in the Indy airport}.

perfect morning

the happy birthday girl :)

Patachou's sourdough cinnamon toast...these were our leftovers that we took on the plane

We got to Orlando mid-afternoon, waited about an hour for my brother's flight to get in from Philly, picked up our rental car, then made our way to the resort where my parents had just gotten settled into our condo. We grabbed a little snack by one of the poolside bars, then went back to the room to get ready for my birthday dinner. 

Since we've been going to Orlando for many, many years, we definitely have our favorite restaurants, and we have a handful that we like to go to for special occasions. We love Jiko, but since we just went there last year, I chose to go to Emeril's for my big 30th birthday dinner. We first went to Emeril's restaurant when my brother and I were in New Orleans for school, and I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at one of his restaurants. Plus, there is a DELICIOUS banana cream pie on the menu, and I just had to have it. {There are even bananas in the crust, it is that good!}

before dinner

mmm....banana cream pie....

Saturday was our first full day, and the weather was sunny and in the mid-70s, so naturally, we spent it by the pool. One of my cousins that lives in Florida came over and brought her 10-month-old boy, Owen, too. He is so cute and adorable and loved being by the pool!

my mom and Owen

he was in the middle of eating some avocados

such a sweetie...I can't wait to have my own little boy in my arms! :)

We went to a new favorite restaurant of ours on Saturday night. Did you know that Tommy Bahama {like the clothes} also has restaurants? TJ and I had gone there for lunch when we were down in Orlando September of 2011, and we went with my parents for dinner last year. Since my brother was with us this year, we decided to go again, and let me tell you, we were NOT disappointed!

my parents

creme brulee in a pineapple!

my brother

Vacation was definitely off to a great start! More coming soon! :)

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Looks like you had a nice birthday! I had not clue TB had a restaurant!

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

Crème brulee in a pineapple?! Awesome!

Looks like a great start to your trip! I love Rosie Pope dress in your birthday pic :)

Love that you and your mom were getting some boy practice with Owen. Liam will be here soon and will love going to FL next year and getting poolside :D

Nat said...

Looks like an amazing trip!! Creme brulee in a pineapple sounds so good

 
site design by designer blogs