Monday, November 5, 2012

A Short Race is Better than No Race

This past weekend was the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Half Marathon, and 5K. I had been planning on running the half for awhile and had been sticking to my training plan religiously until football season got in the way. I had made it to an 8 mile run {and felt pretty darn good}, but that was the highest my training went. Having games on Friday nights, Saturday afternoons, and Colts games on Sundays made it hard to get a long run in on the weekend. Sure, I've done a couple half marathons in the past, and I probably could have been fine, but I really wanted my next half to be a solid shot at getting a PR, preferably under 2:10. I knew it just wasn't going to happen, so when I missed the deadline {oops!}, and the registration was going to be $90 for the half {yikes, that's a lot!}, I took it all as a sign that this wasn't my race to PR. I ended up doing the 5K, and it was a nice brisk morning for it. Plus, the 5K finished before it started raining, so I was really happy about that!

my mom and me, all smiles before the race

the sun was so pretty downtown...this picture doesn't do it justice!

My mom and I got coffee after the 5K, then we went back to the finish line to watch my dad finish the half. I found a front row spot right by the finish line, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the runners finish the race. It never fails that I even get a little teary eyed...I think it's because I know exactly how that feels to accomplish such a feat. Sure, you may be a little tired and sore, but it's such a runner's high...it feels great!

Hope you all had a great weekend too!

5 comments:

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

That picture of downtown Indy is so pretty!! I did that 5k last year and missed this year, but I think I am definitely going to participate in 2013!

The Unlikely Runner said...

My finance is from Indy and we had really wanted to run this race but we ended up doing Columbus a few weeks ago instead. But this is definitely on our list!
Happy Monday!

Your Doctor's Wife said...

What a fun time! I wish I could do a 5K, but I'm afraid my foot would just plain fall off. :(

I hope you'll join us today for Medical Monday Blog hop!
http://www.yourdoctorswife.com/2012/11/medical-monday-blog-hop-november-edition.html

Andrea said...

How fun to watch your Dad finish the half! Good for you for still running even though it wasn't the race you had originally planned! I am right there with you about getting teary eyed!!

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

Good for you friend!

 
site design by designer blogs