Tuesday, August 28, 2012

10 Day YOU Challenge {eight fears}


Today I'm getting those skeletons out of my closet and sharing some of my fears with you. It's kind of daunting, if you ask me, because I've never met most of you! It'll give me a chance to reflect upon myself and let you get to know me a little better too.



Here goes...

{one}
I used to love flying. I still don't mind it, but I get a little more scared and nervous than I ever used to. I find myself thinking about all the bad things that could happen. Some people may say that this is a sign I'm getting old...

{two}
My student loan debt terrifies me. I log in to my Sallie Mae account as little as possible, just so I don't have to look at the outstanding balance. Let's just say that it's in the six figures, and the first number isn't a "1." Yikes.

{three}
I have yet to sign up for another race, but I have my eyes set on the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon on November 3. I'm scared that I won't do as well as I want to, and I don't want to run another race like this one. I think I just need to bite the bullet and do it.

{four}
I'm afraid of getting skin cancer one day. I'm not talking basal cell or squamous cell {both very treatable and usually uncomplicated}...I'm talking melanoma. The big one. After doing a dermatology rotation last February, I made myself an appointment for a skin check. Thankfully, everything was fine. I feel like I've been better about using sunscreen, but I still forget sometimes. Unfortunately, I forgot this past Sunday when we were at my aunt and uncle's pool, and I'm a little pink to show for it. Oops.

{five}
I think I've shared this before on the blog, but, for a long time, I've been scared of one day being divorced. Thankfully, this fear started long before I met TJ, and I really don't think I have anything to worry about. Nonetheless, it's just scary to me how people can be married for 20+ years and then, a marriage just fizzles. All the more reason to work on your marriage every single day. I love you, TJ!

{six}
I'm really scared of having another miscarriage. I'm not sure when it's in God's plan for us to welcome a baby into this world, but I'm not sure if I can deal with the pain and loss of losing another.  Sure, I was only 5-6 weeks along, but I was heartbroken. A miscarriage is something that you can't even comprehend unless you've been through it, and I definitely don't want to go through it again. One is enough for me.

{seven}
I fear that I'm not doing enough....my house isn't clean, I have multiple loads of laundry to do, shirts and pants to iron, and papers all over my office. I realize that I'm working a full time job {plus time for reading and studying} and trying to be a good housewife, but sometimes I feel like I fall short. When I start feeling this way, I know I just have to make a list and check things off one at a time. Otherwise, I'll just feel worse and worse and won't get anything done!

{eight}
Sometimes I'm afraid of not doing this whole blogging thing right...I may not have loads and loads of followers, comments, etc, and it's easy to get caught up in the numbers. Then, I remember that I do this FOR ME. If people enjoy what I write, fantastic, but most importantly, I want to continue doing this blogging thing for myself. {and hopefully not bore you all in the process!}

~~~~~

If you missed last weeks' post, you can read about my nine loves here.

xo, emily

9 comments:

Emily said...

Hi! I'm a new follower from the link-up! I've only read this one post, and I already know we have so much in common. I agree with your number 2-8. I cant even think about my student loans (only from my bachelors degree, but still overwhelming to think about), my dad had melanoma when I was 4, and I'm terrified of miscarriage and divorce. I'm going to read more of your blog now, but I just had to say hello :)

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

I love that you absolutely know that you should keep blogging for you! It is so true and I wish more bloggers would remind themselves of that. I sometimes have 7. I don't like the feeling. Thanks for linking up girl!

Unknown said...

6- it is a hard thing to experience and its hard to feel confident YOU are okay enough to try another. One is enough but its too many. : ( sorry.
7- I always feel like this. Lists help sometimes.
8- I started blogging to motivate myself and I totally agree with you.

I connected to your GFC and you can find me @ http://www.onecreativeprocrastinatinggal.blogspot.com

Ruth Alvarez said...

I agree with number 8. I visit other blogs that have amazing layouts and I just don't get it!
Glad I came over and visited.

www.roothless-xo.blogspot.ca

Sara said...

Amen to number 8. I blog because I want to document my time as a mama and to meet great people, but it can be easy to get caught up in the numbers game.

Anonymous said...

I love how honest your fears were and how emotionally connected I felt to them. I too am scared to death of my student loan debt, it's not an pretty sight!
I am also scared of being divorced one day, while i don't foresee it in our futures I still hate thinking of even the possibility of divorce.

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

Wow--we have so many of the same fears! Divorce (have always had the fear like you--way before meeting hubs...It just boggles my mind how marriages can just fade away after being together for so long), our student loan debt (Cody is attending a private dental school--bleh, we'll be well above the "1" mark too). Cancer of any kind is a huge fear of mine. Sorry to hear about your miscarriage :( I'm equally scared of having one, I feel like it's inevitable sometimes and I'd just like to get it out of the way. #7--you're preaching to the choir! I always feel like that and I'm not reading/studying (except Mr. Grey :D) And keep blogging for you buddy! I love reading your posts! Thanks for linking up friend :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a new follower from the link-up. I've suffered a miscarriage as well, and it's terrifying, heart wrenching and scary to think about it happening again. I truly feel for you, and pray when you do get pregnant again you have a wonderful pregnancy and a healthy baby to hold.

I fear cancer period all types of cancer. I never thought it would affect someone I love, but my Dad passed away earlier this year from lymphoma and oral (tongue) cancer so obviously this a fairly new fear of mine.

http://faithhopeabound.blogspot.com/

Lauran {The Real Young Housewife of Southern VA} said...

I love that you shared this!!!! I did one a few months ago and felt so good after getting it out and off my chest!!!! We sure do have a lot of the same fears so if you ever need to chat... you know Im here :) Proud of you for being honest!!!!

 
site design by designer blogs