Friday, April 27, 2012

Big News!!!

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I've got some news to share with you...

I've been keeping it a little under wraps for the past couple months, but I am happy to finally announce that I am going to be a Sports Medicine Fellow in July! I am beyond excited....this is really a dream come true for me! In high school, when I decided to become a doctor, I dreamed about being a physician for a professional dance company {I even had that in my college application essay!}. Now, just over 10 years later, I'm one step closer to that dream becoming a reality! I can't thank my family and friends for supporting me over the years, and {most importantly} God for blessing me with this amazing opportunity. I'm sooooo excited, thrilled, giddy....all of the above!

I've been hesitating to share the good news with you because, for awhile, we weren't sure if the fellowship was going to be approved for this coming year. {i.e. I'd have to get another job and do the fellowship in a year or so.} I am going to be the first Sports Medicine Fellow at my program, and I get to stay with the same hospital I've been at for my Family Medicine training. I love my program - not only is it a very strong academically, but the people {residents, staff, and faculty} are amazing, and I don't want to leave!

So what does a Sports Medicine Fellow/Physician do? Well, we take care of nonsurgical musculoskeletal problems, concussions, and also regular primary care things for athletes like sinusitis. Starting in August, I'll be spending my time in sports medicine clinics, rotating with orthopedic surgeons learning all about knees, shoulders, ankles, wrists, etc, studying musculoskeletal radiology, and also covering things like cardiology, nutrition, and sports psychology. A big part of my learning will also come from covering high school, collegiate, and professional sports, so I'll be in the training rooms and on the sidelines for a lot of Marian University and Butler University games. Since my background is in dance, I'm also going to get involved with the Butler Ballet and Dance Kaleidoscope...dance medicine is my true passion!!!

This past Saturday, I got another taste of what I'll be doing a lot of in the coming years...race coverage! As much as I like running in races, taking care of the runners is fun too! It was a little chilly last weekend, with the temps in the low 40s and a totally overcast sky. We kept hoping the sun would peek out, and it did, but it was after we cleaned up the tent and headed for home. Oh well, it was still fun and a good way to get more experience!

The half-marathoners lined up

Me with one of my faculty {the guy in the red coat} and one of the sports med administrators {in blue}

A friend of one of the runners I was taking care of had a little dog, so I borrowed him for a bit...he was so cute!

me with my sports medicine faculty!

Happy Friday and have a fantastic weekend!!!

emily

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yay that's so exciting :) Congratulations!

xo

Kristin said...

Congrats!! I am sure it is well deserved!! :)

Celeste said...

Congrats!! That is so exciting and you look so cute With that sweet, fluffy friend!

 
site design by designer blogs